Station: Atlanta, MI
Atlanta was settled about 1881 in central Montmorency County. It is the county seat. [MPN]
The town was served by the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena railroad for a short period between 1920 and 1932. This was likely during the period of harvest of hardwood forests in the area. The Michigan Central and Detroit & Mackinac railroads came within about five miles of Atlanta from the southwest and north with forest branch lines but never reached the townsite itself.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena railroad depot in Atlanta, MI. 2nd and 3rd photos, a BCG&A train with a snow plow opens the line through Atlanta. [All, Dale Berry collection] 4th photo, a USGS map of the old BCB&A right-of-way. The railroad crossed M-33 in the vicinity of Freddies IGA market. [USGS/Dale Berry]