Locations: Kneeland-Bigelow Company Camps in Montmorency County
The Kneeland-Bigelow Company was a hardwoods logging company which cut and shipped hardwoods from several counties in the northern Lower Peninsula to their mills in Bay City. Many K-B stockholders and managers worked for the Michelson & Hanson Lumber Company harvesting pine forests in the same areas. When the pine became depleated around 1900, the focus turned to hardwoods.
K-B Company Camps in Montmorency County were located at:
- Camp 1 - T30N-R1E in southern Vienna Township, Section 34, west of CR-491 and south of Gamble Road on the MC's Davidson Branch. This camp operated from 1901-1903. 44.952943, -84-296963
- Camp 2 - T30N-R1E in southern Vienna Township, Section 22, southwest of Gaylanta Lake on MC's Davidson Branch. Camp operated from 1902 to 1905. There was a K-B fire tower located northwest of here. 44.970919, -84,307434
- Camp 3 - T30N-R1E in central Vienna Township, Section 15, northwest of Gaylanta Lake on MC's Davidson Branch. Called Donnelly. Camp operated from 1903-1910. 44.992654, -84.314987
- Camp 4 - T30N-R1E in southern Vienna Township, Section 24 on McCormick Lake Road. Camp operated from 1905-1913. There was a K-B fire tower located here. 44.981332, -84.274561
- Camp 5 - T30N-R1E in the center of Section 25 of Vienna Township at the southeast corner of what is now McCormick Lake Road and Lutz Road. Operated from 1906 to 1908. 44.962714, -84.261836
- Camp 6 - T30N-R1E in 36 of Vienna Township.
[Under construction. More camps to add.]