Location: Black River Ranch, MI
The Black River Ranch is a privately owned hunting club in Montmorency Township in northwestern Montmorency County. The ranch facilities and its largest lake, Silver Lake, are located in Cheboygan County, but the majority of the ranch property is located in Montmorency County.
This club originally owned an additional 20+ square miles east of their current location, but this land was sold to developers in the early 1930's to form Canada Creek Ranch.
Prior to becoming a hunting club in the 1920's, this property was harvested for pine and other soft and hard woods. Loggers used the Black River to deliver logs north to saw mills in Tower and Cheboygan. The ranch property did have access to a railroad spur off the Michigan Central in the northwest corner of their property according to local maps.