Station: Grant, MI
Grant was settled as a saw mill community about 1882. Also known as Grant Station and Grant Center, it was incorporated as as village in 1893. [MPN]
Grant was on the Chicago & West Michigan (later Pere Marquette) frailroad about five miles south of Newaygo in southern Newaygo County.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, a postcard view of the water tower, depot and train in 1915. [John LeFevre collection]. 2nd photo, the PM water tower and depot in 2003. The tower is still used to fill up fire department tanker equipment. [Dale Berry]. 3rd photo, the same location in 2004. [Alan Loftis]. 4th-6th photos, the same location in the 1970's. [Charles Geletzke Jr.]
The Pere Marquette had a water tower at Grant (pictured at left). It was built in 1872 and still exists as of 2003. [Russ Venlos]
1905 improvements: The PM builds a new pump house and deepened the well at Grant. [PMAR-1905]