Station: Royal Oak, MI
Royal Oak was settled about 1818 in southeast Oakland County. It became a village in 1891 and a city in 1921. [MPN]
Royal Oak was located on the former Detroit & Milwaukee railroad (later GTW/CN) about five miles north of Wayne County and about 15 miles southeast of downtown Pontiac. It was also served by an electric interurban line from Detroit north to Pontiac, as well as a branch line north to Rochester and ultimately Imlay City in Lapeer County.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, an early view of the GTW depot at Royal Oak. 2nd photo, an early view of the depot and a crossing tower which is across the tracks. [Alan Loftis collection]. 3rd photo, GTW train 168 stops at the Roayl Oak station in October, 1969. [Charles Geletzke Jr]. 4th photo, the newer GTW station at Royal Oak which was built in 1950 and replaced the earlier depot. This modern depot was used into the 1990's by SEMTA and Amtrak. In 1983. [Charlie Whipp]. 5th photo, GTW Train 21 with geep 4911 stops at Royal Oak on June 8, 1963. [Charles Geletzke Jr.]