Station: White Pine, MI
White Pine was a townsite settled around the White Pine Mine about 1915 after mass copper was found here and the White Pine Copper Company was established. The mine closed in 1920 and then reopened in 1946 when a new process for recovering copper was establishd. [MPN]
White Pine was reached by two different railroads. The old Ontonagon Railroad reached town from the north. Later, the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic railroad built a branch line to here from their main line at Bergland.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the railroad yard at White Pine. This is the former branch of the DSS&A which is now operated by Canadian Nationa. It serves a coper mine at White Pine. 2003. [Dale Berry]. 2nd photo, White Pine Copper Mine 200 switches the plant in June, 1976. This unit is the former Copper Range 200, a Baldwin S-12. [Rob Kitchen]