Mine: White Pine Mine, MI
White Pine Mine was located at White Pine Mine in western Ontonagon County about 1915 after mass copper was found here and the White Pine Copper Company was established. The mine closed in 1920 and then reopened in 1946 when a new process for recovering copper was establishd. [MPN]
White Pine Mine was reached by two different railroads. The old Ontonagon Railroad reached town from the north. Later, the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic railroad built a branch line to here from their main line at Bergland.