Station: McKinley, MI
McKinley was settled in eastern Oscoda County around the J.E. Potts Salt & Lumber Company and originally called Potts. In 1891, the H.M. Loud & Sons bought the Potts lumber interests, including their mill, machinery, narrow gauge railroad, timber and land leases. The town was renamed McKinley in 1892. In the early 1900's, the railroad repair shop here burned. A lack of remaining timber didn't warrant rebuilding it.
The post office in McKinley was closed in 1913. The area is now a ghost town. [MPN]