Station: Hawks, MI
Hawks was established about 1895 when the Detroit & Mackinac railroad built northwest from here, taking over the Alpena & Northern railroad. The townsite was also known as LaRoque. The original A&N line turned southwest from here to Valentine Lake in Montmorency County. Within the next 10 years, the pine was depleted and the line from Valentine Lake was pulled up, leaving the D&M main line to Cheboygan.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, a winter view of the D&M depot at LaRocque, aka Hawks. [Frank Anderson collection]