Print

Station: LaRoque, MI

DM Depot at LaRoque MIHawks was established about 1895 when the Detroit & Mackinac railroad built northwest from here, taking over the Alpena & Northern railroad. The townsite was also known as Hawks. The original A&N line turned southwest from here to Valentine Lake in Montmorency County. Within the next 10 years, the pine was depleted and the line from Valentine Lake was pulled up first to May Lake and then the remainder of the way - leaving the D&M main line to Cheboygan as the main route. In a D&M timetable, the town is still listed as LaRoque in 1905.

Photo Info/Credit: Top, a winter view of the D&M depot at LaRocque, aka Hawks. [Frank Anderson collection]