Station: Memphis, MI
Memphis was settled about 1834 on the Macomb/St. Clair County line. A sawmill was located here. The town was called Wells' Settlement but renamed Memphis in 1848. The village, which is located in both counties was incorporated in 1865 and became a city in 1953. [MPN]
Memphis was a station on the Pere Marquette Almont Branch and is about 16 miles west of Tappan.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the PM depot and water tower at Memphis. [Alan Loftis collection]