Location: Black River Bridge, Port Huron, MI - (CN)
This drawbridge was built in 1913 by the Grand Trunk Western on a short industrial branch starting near Tappan going into the City of Port Huron.
In 1873, the Chicago, Detroit and Canada Grand Truck Junction Railway Company reported to the Michigan Commissioner of Railroads that this bridge was built in 1859 (one and 1/4 miles from Port Huron) and made of iron and stone. It was described at that time as a swing bridge 342 feet in length. [MCR/1873]
Photo info: GTW 4601 crosses the Black River enroute to the paper mill. October, 2008 [Dan Meinhard]
1903. This draw was 122 feet, 6" in length, described as a through girder iron bridge. It was 23 feet above the water. Hand powered. Semaphore controlled. Built in 1859.