Location: Port Huron, MI - C&O Car Ferry Operations
The Pere Marquette (later C&O) railroad operated a railroad car ferry operation between Port Huron and Sarnia, Ontario for many years to connect with PM's branch lines in Canada. The C&O later began using the GTW tunnel but the car ferry continued to shuttle high and hazardous loads via ferry. The ferry operation was discontinued after the new CN international tunnel was built.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, a Chesapeake & Ohio railroad car ferry is attached to the boat dock and yard at Port Huron in 1954. [TJ Gaffney collection]. 2nd photo, Chessie ferry No. 10 at Port Huron. [Charlie Whipp]. 3rd photo, the CSX car ferry slip at Port Huron, now abandoned in 2003. [Dan Meinhard]. 4th photo, a "bird's eye" view of the GTW boat dock and Boat Yard. This 1979 hoto was taken from a signal tower. [Jim Swick, TJ Gaffney collection]