Print

Station: Hiawatha Station, MI

Hiawatha was founded in 1893 by Thomas Mills, an Americal Socialist, as a co-operative colony. Infighting in the colony caused its abandonment in 1896. [MPN] The settlement was located on the Manistique & Lake Superior railroad about 12 miles north of Manistique. The railroad also had a branch line junction here about two miles to the northeast to Hiawatha Mill.