Station: Durand, MI
Durand was settled about 1836 and originally called Vernon Center. The town was renamed Durand in 1876 and became a village in 1887 and a city in 1932. [MPN]
Durand was a major railroad town for the Grand Trunk Western. Their Detroit to Muskegon (Detroit & Milwaukee railroad) crossed their Port Huron to Chicago main line here. The north-south Ann Arbor railroad also crossed both GTW lines here, near the depot. Both roads used the Union Station (see photo at left) which is one of the most photographed railroad stations in the history of railroading.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, an early view of Durand Union Station with six trains at the crossing. 2nd photo, GTW 3750 at the Durand engine service facility in 1958. [Doug Leffler] 3rd photo, GTW 6405 at Durand in the last 1930's. [Charlie Whipp collection]. 4th photo, GTW 5926 at Durand with a railroad fan trip. [Dennis Schmidt], 5th photo, the Durand Depot with a passing CN freight train in 2002. [Charlie Whipp]
The GTW at Durand had a water tower. [GTWHS-Cal/89]