Location: Denmark Junction, MI
The area around Denmark Junction was settled about 1854 in western Tuscola County. [MPN] This is the location where the original Detroit & Bay City main line branched off to Saginaw. After this short branch was established, most Michigan Central trains diverted here to Saginaw, and then up the west side of the Saginaw River to West Bay City. For years, the MC line from Denmark Junction north to East Bay City continued to exist as a local branch serving local farming interests as well as industry in East Bay City. Eventually the line was truncated at Munger. It continues to exist today, operated by the Huron & Eastern.
Photo Info/Credit: A 1977 track diagram of Denmark Junction. [Tom Hynes collection]