Station: Chelsea, MI

MC Chelsea MI DepotMC Chelsea MI DepotMC Chelsea MI Depot with planeChelsea was settled about 1820 and became a station stop on the state's "central" line in 1848. The town became a village in 1889 and a city in 2012. [MPN]

Photo info/credit: Top, the Michigan Central depot in Chelsea. This depot was built in 1880 and used by a station agent until the late 1960's. This photo is from 1975. [Charlie Whipp]. 2nd photo, another postcard view of the depot and park. 3rd photo, a sign of the times to come. An experimental bi-plane purported to fly over the Chelsea depot. This was likely a creation in the photographer's darkroom, rather than an actual photo. [Both, Alan Loftis collection].


1880. The MC builds a "passenger house" at Chelsea. [MCAR-1880]

1917, The MC had a operator-clerk here around-the-clock. They also had a dedicated freight agent. [TRT]

1920 - On the Michigan Central, this is a passenger, freight and express agency joint with the American Railway Express Company. Interline tickets are issued. E. D. Brown is the agent. The telegraph call sign is "CS". [MCOAS]


Industry:
  • Chelsea Steel Ball Co. - Hayes Street - served byi MCRR - 1918
  • J. L. Gilbert - apple evaporating works - south side of MCRR - 1884
  • L. E. Sparks Flour Mill - near current Jiffy mill - 1884
  • Lewis Spring & Axlre Co. - plant NE of Main and MCRR. - 1918
  • Star Wind Mill Co. - near curfrent Jiffy mill - 1884
  • William Bacon Holmes Co. - elevator - 1918