Station: Manchester, MI
Manchester was settled about 1833 as a saw and grist mill operated by the Manchester Mill Company. The town became a village ib 1867. [MPN]
Photo info/credit: The Lake Shore depot at Manchester, which was located on the line from Tecumseh to Jackson. Ypsilanti branch trains (from Ypsilanti and Hillsdale) used this depot by backing down the Jackson branch from Manchester Junction. [Alan Loftis collection]
Manchester was located on both the Lake Shore's Jackson Branch and the Detroit, Hillsdale & Western line, both originally crossing just west town. Fairly early on, this crossing was changed to a double junction. The DH&W (later known as the Ypsilanti Branch) utilized the Lake Shore's Jackson Branch station, with the Ypsi branch trains backing down the Jackson branch about one mile to their depot. The junction and line to the depot was protected by automatic block signals to assist in preventing collisions.
The LS&MS had a water tower and standpipe at Manchester (see photo) in 1926.