Location: Shanghai Pit, MI
Shanghai Pit was a location on the MC Main Line three miles west of Ypsilanti. The location is noted in a 1912 MC station listing with a station number as #259, and located behind what is now St. Joseph Mercy Hospital.
Shanghai Pit was a location where the Michigan Central cut blocks of ice from the Huron River for use on its line. It has also been written that the fill for Junction Yard in Detroit was excavated from Shanghai Pit and brought to West Detroit about 1900.