Location: Elkhart Yard, Elkhart, IN
Elkhart Yard is a major classification and hump yard in Elkhart, Indiana. The yard has been in existance for about 150 years but received major upgrades during the Lake Shore years, as well as additional capacity and modernization in the early 1950's under NYC ownership. From a Michigan perspective, Elkhart replaced the hump and class yards at Niles in the 1950's when the NYC upgraded their Air Line (Jackson to Three Rivers) to centralized traffic control with controlled passing sidings.
Elkhart had two water towers and four standpipes for filling locomotives.