Print

Middle Grounds Yard (NYC), Toledo, OH

The Lake Shore & Michigan Southern (NYC) Middle Grounds Yard was located north of their main line, between the Maumee River and their Central Union Terminal passenger station.

The Middle Grounds was established in the 1850's by early Toledo railroads, near the location where Swan Creek branched off the Maumee River. The Michigan Southern, predessor of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern/New York Central, initiated the development of the grounds here. The Middle Grounds was originally a water-covered swamp which was drained and filled. The railroad had stub-end yards here to support their terminal operations.

The Middle Grounds area contained grain elevators, a freight house, and the city's first passenger depot, known as Island House. The Michigan Southern's roundhouse and locomotive facilities were located at the western edge of this terminal area.

The Cleveland and Toledo railroad (forerunner of the Lake Shore on the east side of the Maumee River, had access to the Middle Grounds but also had its own small waterfront terminal on the east side of the Maumee River at the same location. [AATHS-Spr/2002].