Station: Champion, MI
Champion was a village in western Marquette County named after its proximity to the Champion Mine which opened in 1867. This was a station on the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic railway. The mine closed in 1910 but the village remained.
Champion was a junction point for the DSS&A and the Milwaukee Road which came up from Chicago & Milwaukee. The two roads worked together for years to provide Milwaukee Road passengers with connections east to Ishpeming, Negaunee and Marquette, as well as nortwest to Houghton, Hancock and Calumet.
Photo Info/Credit: Top, the DSS&A depot at Champion in the late 1950's. [Alan Loftis collection]. 2nd photo, another view in 1973. This depot served both roads in Champion. [Greg Bunce], 3rd and 4th photos, 2003 views of the Milwaukee Road 2-stall engine house at Champion after the road was abandoned. [Greg Bunce]