Station: Kawkawlin, MI
Kawkawlin is a hamlet in Bay County which was settled in 1885 around a water powered mill on the Kawkawlin River. The Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw (later MCRR) railroad came through here in 1871, crossing the Kawkawlin River on a small drawbridge [per MC timetable in 1883]. This drawbridge was replaced with a regular bridge by 1900.
When the Penn Central line to Bay City was sold to the GTW around 1980, the D&M (and the state) bought the line north of Kawkawlin towards Mackinaw City. A sign posted at Kawkawlin identified the line of demarcation as "D&M Jct". The D&M connected with the line at Linwood, using a former industrial branch off their lake shore main line. Later, when the D&M (and later Lake State Railway) obtained trackage rights over the former MC and they abandoned their lake shore main line between North Bay City Yard and Pinconning. A new connection was established off the old MC line to the DM/LSRC line just south of Pinconning which is still used today.