Mine: Champion Mine, Painsdale, MI
Section 31, 48-29. The Champion Mine was opened in 1899 on the South Range (Baltic) lode. It was originally owned jointly by the St. Mary's Mineral Land Company and William A. Paine of the Paine Webber investment firm. In 1901, Paine gained control through the Copper Range Consolidated Company.This mine operated continuously during the depression and intermitendly until 1967.
The "E" Shaft hoist frame was located southeast of Painesdale. It was constructed in 1906 and enlarged in 1908. [UPM]