Station: Negaunee, MI
Negaunee was settled by the Jackson Iron Company about 1846. The Pioneer Furnace opened here in 1857 and the town was then called Negaunee. It was also called Neganee for a time. Negaunee became a village in 1865 and a city in 1873. [MP]
Photo Info/Credit: Top, Negaunee union station in an early view. [Alan Loftis collection]. 2nd photo, a 2003 view. [Greg Bunce]. 3rd and 4th photos, the restored station in 2006. [Ann Kantola]. 5th photo, a 2003 view o the DSS&A freight house at Negaunee. This depot was the South Shore depot which preceeded the brick station above. [Greg Bunce]
The DSS&A had a water tower in Negaunee, as did the Marquette & Western railroad.
MH&O Negaunee Station. The MH&O Negaunee station on Gold Street was built in 1880 to replace an earlier passenger station which burned in October, 1879. It is a rectangular frame building 22' wide and 90' long with a gabled roof and wide overhanding eaves. This combination passenger and reight facility contained an American Express office, an agent's office as well as a passenger waiting room and freight storage area. [UPM]
Negaunee Union Station. This station was built at Gold and Rail Streets in 1910 by the Hood Contracting Copany. It is a one-story pressed brick building with a hipped asbestos shingle roof resting on a concrete foundation. Inside was the general waiting room 53' by 15', a baggage room 21' by 20', Western Expres and American Express offices each 17' by 11' and a women's waiting room 15' by 21'. It served the Duluth South Shore and Atlantic Railroad and the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad until it closed in 1965. [UPM]