Tunnel: Detroit-Windsor International Rail Tunnel
The Detroit-Windsor International railroad tunnel was built by the Canada Southern railroad (Michigan Central) opening in 1910. Prior to the opening of this tunnel, passenger and freight cars were ferried across the river nearby and at Grosse Isle (downriver).
The west (U.S.) portal of the tunnel was located near Porter Street at the east end of the Michigan Central passenger station. It was controlled by the 15th Street interlocking tower.
Photo info/credit: Top, two passenger trains approach 15th Street interlocking, at the west entrance to the international tunnel and the east entrance to the new MCRR station on Vernor. The steam engine approaches from the old Third Street station, while the electric motor unit pulls its train from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. 2nd photo, a similar photo taken in the winter. 3rd photo, the west entrance to the double tubes of the tunnel.
- 1935: 600 Volt Direct Current third rail is installed from Bay City Jct. interlocking plant through the passenger station yard to Vermont Street, and through the tunnel to the east limits of Windsor Tower 2 and Tower 3 interlocking plants. Overhead contact rail is installed in the main train shed and in the passenger station yard between the train shed and the west approach to the tunnel. Equipment conforming to standard N.Y.C. clearances for electrified territory will clear. [MC Detroit Terminal Employee Timetable No. 76]
Portal Location: 42o19.479'N / 83o04.187'W.
Photo info/credit: Top, a section of the new tunnel being floated down the river to the permanent location. 2nd photo, the original sinking of the Detroit-Windsor Railroad Tunnel Tubes. [Both, Alan Loftis Collection]