Interlocking: Forest Lawn Tower, Detroit, MI
Forest Lawn was an interlocking tower on the Grand Trunk Western main line (Detroit to Port Huron) where the Michigan Central Belt Line Extension and the Detroit Terminal railroad crossed the GTW at grade. This tower was just west of Forest Lawn Cemetary. MC trains left the Bay City Branch here crossing the GTW to get to their Belt Line which went south to the Detroit river front and the MC Transit Railroad. The Transit Railroad, a MC subsidiary, ran along the Detroit River between Dequindre and Mt. Elliott.
Photo info/credits: Top, Forest Lawn Interlocking tower in March, 1985 [Neil Plagens}. 2nd and 3rd photos, Grand Trunk Western's Forest Lawn interlocking tower, at the junction of the GTW's Mt. Clemens Subdivision and the Detroit Terminal Railroad. Though these photos suggest that these are rural locations, they are actually in the middle of the City of Detroit. Both photos were taken in 1986. [Charlie Whipp]. 4th photo, a map of the Forest Lawn interlocker drawn from a blueprint in the State of Michigan Archives. [Dale Berry]
This was a GTW staffed tower.
- 1935: Forest Lawn communicated on Grade Line No. 3 (1 long, 2 short). Also on this grade line were the Belt Extension Yardmaster (1 long, 3 short); Belt Line Junction (1 short, 1 long); and North Yard Tower (4 short). [MC Detroit Yard EE Timetable No. 76]
Location: 42o24.552'N / 38o02.098'W.