Print

This bridge brings the Norfolk Southern over the Rouge River between Delray and Oakwood Yard (on the old Wabash line west to Montpelier).  The bridge has an operator 24/7.  It is a bascule design.  The bridge was rebuilt by the Midwest Steel Company in 1982.  Six switch engines stored at Oakwood Yard were placed on the bridge to keep the span down while the counterweight was disconnected and new beams were placed according to Inside Track Magazine, 2/1982.

The bridge was originally built by the Wabash Railroad, along with the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad.  The Pennsylvania Railroad also began using the bridge in the 1920's.