Station: Springwells, MI
Springwells was settled about 1873 in Springwells Township in Wayne County. The "Central" railroad line of the State of Michigan came west through here from Detroit about 1837. This line later became the Michigan Central and later the NYC, Penn Central, and Conrail. The City of Springwells was incorporated as a village in 1921 and became a city in 1923. It was renamed Fordson in1 925 and then annexed to the City of Dearborn (known informally as east Dearborn) in 1928. [MPN] As a result, both Springwells and Fordson were short lived, only seven years in total. The remainder of Springwells township was annexed to the City of Detroit.
The town was later served by the north-south Pere Marquette railroad (which crossed over the MC line near Wyoming Avenue), the Detroit Terminal railroad (coming down from Highland Park to the Rouge Plant), the Pennsylvania railroad (coming from the south into the Rouge complex, the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton (which built a line north to the Rouge complex from Flat Rock), and numerous interurban and trolley lines.