Station: Wayne, MI
The Wayne area, in western Wayne County, was settled about 1824 and known early on as Derby's Corners and then South Nankin. A log house was built hear early on for entertaining and feeding travelers. The town was renamed Wayne in 1851, became a village in 1869 and a city in 1960. [MP]
Wayne was a crossing of the east-west Michigan Central main line to Chicago, and the north-south Pere Marquette railroad's line from Toledo to Ludington via Saginaw. The town also hosted an interurban railroad which ran along what is now Michigan Avenue, as well as a junction north to Plymouth and Northville.
Photo info/credit: Top, the Michigan Central Railroad station at Wayne, Michigan, with a switch engine in front. 2nd photo, the DUR interurban depot at Wayne. [Both, Alan Loftis collection]
1920 - On the Michigan Central, this is a passenger, freight and express agency joint with the American Railway Express Company. Interline tickets are issued. S. Armstrong is the agent. The telegraph call sign is "RN". [MCOAS]