Station: West Detroit, MI
West Detroit began as a Grand Trunk station at the end of their route from Fort Gratiot (Port Huron) southeast to the Detroit area. The line ended here at the Michigan Central railroad and the area quickly became an industrial center with railroad car and wheel manufacturing in the northeast quadrant of the juncction. The Michigan Central located their shops near here in 1873. The area was called Grand Junction and Detroit Junction before being renamed West Detroit in 1887. The area was annexed by the City of Detroit. [MPN]
For more information and photos, see Grand Junction/West Detroit.