Mine: Monongahela Mine, Crystal Falls, MI
Began → Monongahela Mine → Became
Location: NE-NW, NE 1/2-NE and SE-NE Sec. 36 of T43N-R33W
Owned by: Hanna Furnace Co. (Hollister Mining Co.); later by Hanna Iron Ore Co. Shipment from trespass by Columbia mine in 1943. Acquired by Republic Steel Corp. in 1951.
Produced: Iron Ore, hard and soft, red, high phosphorus.
Railroad connection: C&NW/ MILW to Port of Escanaba.
Lifetime Production: 1,352,591 tons between 1901 and 1943.
Being developed in 1951 by Republic Steel Corp for operation with the Columbia Mine.
The Monongahela Mine was located in Crystal Falls in Iron County, and operated from 1892 to 1956. The mine included the "old" mine and the "new" mine. The old mine produced until 1903 and the new section from 1916 until 1934. From 1952 to 1956, the adjacent Columbia mine grew onto the Monongahela property removing ore through its own shafts.
The mine was located southwest of the Tobin Mine, about one mile southwest of downtown Crystal Falls.
The Monongahela was worked by the Olgebay, Norton and Company, the Pitttsburgh and Lake Angeline Company (1901), Jones and Laughlin Limited (1902), Hanna Furnace Compay, Hannah Iron Ore, and Republic Steel (1951). [MINDAT]
Property description: NE-NW, north 1/2-NE, and SE-NE Section 36, T43N-R33W. This L-oshaped 160 acres lies between N46-4-59, N46-5-12, W88-22-1 and W88-22-58 and between N46-4-46, N46-4-59, W88-22-1 and W88-22-20.