Mine: McDonald Mine, Crystal Falls, MI
North Armenia Mine → McDonald Mine → Became
Location: SE-NE Sec. 23 of T43N-R32W.
Owned by: Mcdonald Mining Co., Lake Erie Ore Co. agent.
Produced: Iron Ore, soft brown, non-bessemer.
Method: Underground, worked by stoping method. Depth: 325 feet.
Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba ore dock.
Lifetime Production: 30,289 tons between 1909-1913.
The McDonald Mine, also known as the North Armenia Mine, was located in Crystal Falls in Iron County from 1890 through 1913. During this period, the mine shipped 30,289 tons of ore from four levels to 418 feet deep. [MINDAT]
Property description: SE-NE Section 23, T43N-R32W which is the 40 acres between N46-6-31, N46-6-44, W88-15-46 and W88-16-5.
1911. The McDonald Mine is located in the S. E. ¼ of the N. E. ¼ Section 23, 43-32 in the Crystal Falls district and lies north of the Armenia Mine. The property is in its development stage, a 12’x8’ shaft is being sunk its present depth being 318 feet. Work was started in 1908, and in 1909 a small cargo was shipped. Ore lenses of a very encouraging nature have been found above the 300 foot level which are widening with depth. The equipment consists of two 150 H. P. horizontal boilers, one 12”x14” geared hoist and one 16”x14”x24”x18” Franklin air compressor. F. W. Youngs, Iron River, is superintendent. [LSMI-1911]