Mine: Lamont Mine, Crystal Falls, MI
Molitar Mine → Lamont Mine → Became
Location: Lot 6 in NW-SE Sec. 20 of T43N-R32W
Owned by: Corrigan McKinney & Co.
Produced: Iron Ore, soft, brown, high phosphorus.
Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba dock.
Lifetime Production: 558,524 tons between 1889-1910.
Also known as the Monitor Mine.
The Lamont Mine, also known as the Monitor Mine, was located in Crystal Falls in Iron County. The mine began as the Moitor in 1888 and shipped ore in 1889. The Lamont Iron Company bought it in 1892 and renamed it Lamont and shipped ore through 1894. Corrigan McKinney took over and shipped ore from the mine from 1899 through 1910 from two shafts. [MINDAT]
Property description: NW-SE Sectio 20, T43-R32W which is the 40 acres between N46-6-18, N46-6-31, W88-19-51 and W88-20-10.