Mine: Hope Mine, Crystal Falls, MI
Blaney, South Hope, Wauneta Mines → Hope Mine → Became
Location: E 1/2-SE Sec. 237 of T43N-R32W. Includes South Hope, SE-SE Sec. 27 and Hope NE-SE Sec. 27.
Owned by: Hope Iron Mining Co., Oglebay, Norton & Co. agent. Present hope property once known as Wauneta and Blaney mines were once operated by Oliver Iron Mining Co.
Produced: Iron Ore, hard, red, high phosphorus.
Railroad connection: C&NW to port of Escanaba.
Lifetime Production: 28,530 tons between 1892-1903
The Hope Mine was opened by the Hope Mining Company in 1891 and operated through 1893. Mining was resumed by the Oliver Iron Mining Company during 1902-1903. In total, 28530 tons were shipped from two levels to 350 feet. It was located in Crystal Falls in Iron County.
Properrty description: E 1/2 SE Section 27, R43N-R32W which is 80 acres bettween N46-5-13, N46-5-39, W88-17-2 and W88-17-21.
Property disputes have led to the north and south halves of the property being referred to ass the North Hope Mine and the South Hope Mine during the Oliver period of operation. [MINDAT]