Mine: Hiawatha Mine No. 2, Caspian, MI


Duff, Dober and Isabella Mines → Hiawatha Mine No. 2 Mine → Became

From: 1935

Location: NE and NE-NW Sec. 2; NW Sec. 1 of T42N-R35W and SW-SW Sec. 36 of T43N-R35W. Includes Duff (E 1/2-NE Sec. 2); Dober (NW Sec. 1 of T42N-R35W) and Isabella (SW-SW Sec. 36 of T43N-R35W)

Owned by: Riverton Group by Oliver Mining Co. until taken into the Hiawatha No. 2 in 1935. No. 2originally operated by American-Boston Mining Co.; now by Hanna Iron Ore Co. (1950).

Produced: Iron Ore, hard, red, high phosphorus. Crushed.

Method: Underground, by stoping method. Depth: 2,280 feet.

Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba ore dock.

Until: 

Lifetime Production: 3,137,064 tons between 1935-1950. Continues.


The Hiawatha Mine complex was located in Caspian, Iron River and Stambaugh in Iron County.

[LSIO-1950]


Hiawatha Mine No. 2

Photo Info/Credit: The Hiawatha Mine No. 2 shaft in Caspian.