Mine: Forbes Mine, Mineral Hills, MI
Began → Forbes Mine → Became
Location: NE-SW Sec. 14 of T43N-R35W. Formerly included SE-SW Sec. 14 of T43N-R35W.
Owned by: Jones & Laughlin Ore Co. Acquired by North Range Mining Co. in 1935.Operated from 1941 to 1946 by Pittsburgh Coke & Iron Co. SE-SW Sec. 14 acquired by ickands Mining Co. in 1947 and the property is used as the site for the Davidson Shaft. SE-SW Sec. 14 is included in Davidson Group.
Produced: Iron Ore, soft yellow, high phosphorus.
Method: Underground, worked by stoping method. Depth: 475 feet.
Railroad connection: C&NW and MILW to Escanaba ore docks.
Lifetime Production: 2,283,822 between 1913 and 1946.
Forbes Mine was located in Mineral Hills north of Iron River in Iron County. It was opened: 1911-1912.