Mine: Chicagon Mine, Iron River, MI
Began → Chicagon Mine → Became
Location: NW-NE, S 1/2-NE and NE-SE Sec. 26 of T43N-R34W
Owned by: Monroe Iron Mining Co. (Rogers Brown Iron Co. agent); then Hanna Iron Ore Co. as a reserve.
Produced: Iron Ore, hard, red, high phosphorus an manganiferous. Crushed.
Method: Underground, worked by stoping method.
Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba dock; MILW to Escanaba dock (via E&LS).
Lifetime Production: 1,234,339 tons from 1911-1922
The Chicagon Mine was located near Chicagon Lake between Crystal Falls and Iron River in Iron County.
This was about 3 miles northwest of Chicagon Lake. [MINDAT]
1911. The Chicagoan Mine is located on the Northeast quarter of Section 26, 43-34 about seven miles east of Iron River and is operated by the Munro Iron Mining Company. Although first explored in 1881, the property was not brought to the shipping stage until this season. The old exploring shaft has been sunk to a total depth of 540 feet and the ore measures explored by three main levels, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th. The sub-level stoping system of mining is used. The mine is equipped with three 150 H. P. boilers; one No. 8 crusher, and temporary air compressors and hoist. Total shipments to August 1st 70,000 tons. [LSIO-1911]