Mine: Chatham Mine, Stambaugh, MI
Began → Chatham Mine → Hiawatha No. 1
Location: NE-SE Sec. 35 of T43N-R35W
Owned by: Brule Mining Col, then Hanna Iron Ore Co. Now a part of Hiawatha No. 1.
Produced: Iron Ore, soft, brown, high phosphorus. Some crushed.
Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba dock.
Stamp Mill/Pellet Plant:
Lifetime Production: 1,381,175 tons between 1907-1920. Tonnage included in Hiawatha No. 1.
The Chatham Mine was located in Stambaugh in Iron County. Now a part of the Hiawatha No. 1 mine. [LSIO-1950]
1911. The Chatham Mine is located in the N. E. ¼ of the S. E. ¼ of Section 35, 43-35 in the village of Stambaugh in the Iron River district, and is operated by the Brule Mining Company. A Sullivan automatic slide valve hoist has been recently installed. The compressor is a Sullivan straight line Corliss. The mine is operated from two shafts, one on each side of the Iron River; No. 1 having a depth of 700 feet and No. 2 a depth of 300 feet. A great deal of pumping is necessary owing to its close proximity to the river. [LSMI-1911]