Mine: Cardiff Mine, Mineral Hills, MI
Began → Cardiff Mine → Closed
Location: E 1/2-NE, N 1/2-SE and SW-NE Sec. 22 of T42N-R35W. Includes Keweenaw, N 1/2-SE and SW-NE and McGovern Mine E 1/2-NE.
Owned by: Wickwire Mining Co. in 1919, subsidiary of Wickwire Steel Co. Then Hanna Iron Ore Co. as a part of the Homer mine.
Produced: 144,000 tons of medium, hard, red-brown, high phosphorus hematite ore in two years, 1922-1923.
Method: Underground shaft. Worked by sub-lvel stoping method.
Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba dock.
Until: 1923 (permanently closed)
Lifetime Production: 144,415 tons from 1922-1923 (included in Homer tonnage).
Enginehouse, dryhouse, shafthouse (steel framework with sheet metal exterior, 40' tall, 20x25' at the base, 6x8' at the top. [UPM]
The Cardiff Mine was located in Mineral Hills, north of Iron River in Iron County.