Mine: Bengal-Tully-Cannon Mine, Stambaugh, MI


Began → Bengal-Tully-Cannon Mine → Became

From: 1909 (Tully) and 1913 (Bengal)

Location: N 1/2-SE (Bengal), S 1/2-SE (Tully) of Sec. 26 of T43N-R35W. And NW-SW Sec 31 of T43N-R35W.

Owned by: Bengal by Verona Mining Co. (Pickands Mather & Co. agent). Acquired by Hanna Iron Ore Co. in 1944. Tully by Corrigan McKinney Steel Col. and later acquired by Hanna Iron Ore Co.

Produced: Iron Ore, soft, red-brown, high phosphorus. Part crushed.

Method: Underground. Bengal by stoping and slicing methods to 875 feet. Tully worked by milling method.

Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba port.

Until: 

Lifetime Production: 6,825,040 between 1910-1950. Remains open.


The Bengel-Tully-Cannon mine was located in Stambaugh in Iron County.

Upon completion of new shaft now being sunk (1950), this mine will be called the Cannon Mine.

[LSIO-1950]

Bengal Mine Bengel Mine

Photo Info: Two photos of the Bengal Mine Mine.


Time Line

1911. The Bengal mine is located on the N. ½ of the S. E. ¼ of Section 36, Town 43, Range 35. The ore is a brown hematite. This property at present has merely an exploring shaft with an equipment of exploring machinery and buildings on surface. A new shaft is being sunk, which, when completed, will be equipped with modern machinery. The work of exploring to date has been confined to one level. W. H. Jobe is superintendent of the Baltic, Fogarty, Caspian and Bengal mines, all of which are located near Palatka, in the Iron River district. [LSMI-1911]