Mine: Armenia Mine, Crystal Falls, MI


Began → Armenia Mine → Became

From: 1889

Location: E 1/2-SE Sec. 23 of T43N-R32W

Owned by: Corrigan McKinney & Co. Lease surrendered in 1914.

Produced: Iron Ore, soft, red, high phosphorus. Crushed.

Method: Underground. Ore crushed on site.

Railroad connection: C&NW to Escanaba dock. MILW to Escanaba dock (via E&LS).

Until: 1914.

Lifetime Production: 713,395 tons from 1889-1914


The Armenia Mine was located located in Crystal Falls in Iron County. [LSIO-1950]


Timeline

1911. The Armenia mine is now working on the seventh level or a total depth of 690 feet. The shaft is 6’ 4”x16’ 4” inside, four compartments. The main hoist is a Fraser Chalmers, 22”x48”, geared type. The man and timber hoist is a Marinette 18”x24”. This mine has crusher equipment and all its ore is crushed. A Rand duplex two stage compressor furnishes air for twelve machines. The boiler plant consists of three 150 horsepower horizontal return tubular boilers. The mine water is handled by a Prescott triple expansion pump with a capacity of 1,000 gallons at 1,000 feet. The haulage equipment at this mine, both underground and on top, is electrical. [LSMI-1911]