Mine: Allouez Mine, Allouez, MI
Began → Allouez Mine → C&H Mining Co. (1923)
Owned by: Allouez Mining Co., then Calumet & Hecla absorbed mine in 1923.
Produced: Copper Ore
Method: Shaft mining.
Railroad connection: Mineral Range, COPR
Stamp Mill/Smelter: Allouez Mill
The Allouez Mining Company began operations here in 1869. The mine was absorbed by the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company in 1923. There were at least four shafts during the mine's history. Surface buildings included the headframe (made of wood in 1945 during the war when steel was in shortage), 40x50' hoist house with gabled roof, 100x20' rockhouse attached to the headframe, and a third building which was probably a dryhouse. [UPM]
The mines at Allouez are commonly thought of as three separate mining operations, all owned by the same company. The Allouez Mining Company first opened a conglomerate lode (later known as the Allouez Conglomerate) near the current town of Allouez beginning in 1859, but did not produce its first copper until 1869. These mines operated sporadically until 1892 when it closed permanently. A second stage of mining began when the company reorganized and opened two shafts (Allouez Nos. 1 and 2) along the Kearsarge Amygdaloid in 1905. In the process, it also created a company town called New Allouez. In 1923, the Allouez Mining Company was absorbed by Calumet and Hecla and mining operations ceased shortly thereafter. The final chapter of the "Allouez" occurred beginning in 1942 with the opening of the Allouez Douglass Shaft (commonly known as Allouez No. 3) by Calumet and Hecla to mine the Houghton Conglomerate and an unnamed amygdaloid lode. This mine operated until 1966 when it closed.