Mine: Quincy Mine, Hancock, MI
Began → Quincy Mine → Closed
Owned by: Quincy Mining Company
Produced: Copper Ore
Method: Underground mine shaft and adits.
Railroad connection: Quincy & Torch Lake, DSS&A.
Stamp Mill/Smelter: Quincy Mining Company Stamp Mill; Quincy Smelter.
Roundhouse. The roundhouse was initially built in 1890 along with the Quincy & Torch Lake Railroad, linking the mines with th stamping plant on Torch Lake. It originally has two stalls, 64' in length. A third stall was added in 1894 and a fourth in 1900. [UPM]
Shaft No. 2 was replaced a wooden frame headframe in 1907 and was built by the American Bridge Company and used until the mine ceased operation in 1931. It was a steel-framed structure covered by corrugated sheet metal siding, 149' high, 44' wide at the base and 19x29' at the top. Ore arrived by skip and was dumped into a bin which was loaded into railroad cars which were pulled underneath. Some crushing of ore took place in the shaft house by a 40-ton steam hammer.
The No. 2 shaft hoist was replaced in 1920. The earlier hoist rope decended to about 8,000 feet (on an incline), and the new hoist extended this to 13,000 feet. The hoist was built by the Nordberg Manufacturing Company. [UPM]
October 29, 1927 - Quincy Mine Shaft #2, Hancock, Houghton Co. - Fall of rock in shaft - 7 fatalities
Operation closed in 1931 due to low prices for copper. Reopened during World War II.
At lease six shafts.
Still open for tours.
Quincy Mine was established up the hill from the City of Hancock about 1856. It had five shafts and was a long producing and profitable copper mine. The mining company also had its own narrow gauge railroad (the Quincy & Torch Lake) to take aggregate to their stamping mill near Hubbell on Torch Lake.