Mine: Osceola Mine, Calumet, MI

Began → Osceola Mine → Closed

From: 1877

Owned by: Osceola Mining Company. Merged with Opechee Mining Company in 1879 to form Osceola Consolidated Mining Co. Taken over by Calumet & Hecla Mining Co. in 1909 and merged into C&H in 1931.

Produced: Copper Ore

Method: Shaft underground mining.

Railroad connection: Mineral Range.

Stamp Mill/Smelter:

Until: 1968

Lifetime Production: 

September 7, 1895 - Osceola Mine, Calumet, Houghton Co. - Fire on 27th level - 30 fatalities

Closed from 1931 to the 1950's and permanently closed in 1968 after a labor strike.