Mine: Calumet & Hecla Mine, Calumet, MI
Various → Calumet & Hecla Mine → Closed
Owned by: Calumet & Hecla Mining Company in 1871, then Universal Ol Products in 1968.
Produced: Copper Ore
Method: Underground shaft mining.
Railroad connection: C&H Railroad
Until: 1868 (strike). Mine dewatering pumps turn off in 1970.
From 1869 to 1886 it was the leading copper ore producer in the United States. By 1881 the mines had 16 shafts. By 1897 the Red Jacket shaft rached a vertical depth of 4,900 feet, the deapest in the world at the time. [Wiki]
The Calumet and Hecla mining properties were located between the original Calumet (later Laurium) and Red Jacket (which later assumed the current name of Calumet). C&H was the largest operator of copper mines in Michigan. These C&H mines were first worked in 1866 and had 12 inclined shafts and one vertical shaft by the end of operations. Other C&H owned mines in the area had additional shafts.
The C&H Company purchased the Wolverine Tube Company in 1955, located at 1411 Central Avenue, just north of the Wabash railroad in southwest Detroit. Copper billets were sent by rail from the C&H smelters to Wolverine where theyu made seamless copper tubing.