Print

Station: Wetmore, MI

Wetmore was an old Indian settlement called Floeter. A post office was opened in 1883 and for a short time it was named Munising (the real Munising was then known as "Old Munising").  Like other towns in the area, loggers plied their trade in the forests and charcoal kilns were built. The town was named Wetmore, after one of its loggers, in 1894.

The DSS&A had a water tower at Wetmore in 1907. [SSP1907]

March 28, 1930: The Michigan Public Utilities Commission denies the DSS&A to discontinue this station as an agency station and replace the agent with a caretaker as earnings continue to justify the agent here. [MPUC-1930]