Drawbridge: Saginaw River Bridge, Bay City, MI - (LSRC)
This swing bridge is used by the Lake States Railway between Bay City and North Bay City, crossing the Saginaw River. In earlier days under Detroit & Mackinac operation, it was also used by the C&O to deliver interchange traffic with the Detroit & Mackinac Railway. It was reportedly owned jointly by the D&M and Pere Marquette.
The Pere Marquette also used this bridge to reach their belt line in North Bay CIty.
April 12, 1896. Work is well under way on the Detroit & Mackinac bridge across the Saginaw River in the 10th Ward. The first abutment on the north side of the river has been started and there is sufficient stone cut so that there will be no delay when the masonry begins. The contract for the substructure has been let to M. J. Griffin of Detroit. The superstructure is also underway in the shops so that it will be ready to put up as soon as the piers are finished. [DFP-1896-0412].
August 8, 1910. Repairs to the Detroit & Mackinac railway bridge are being rushed as fast as possible. By using a scow and the tug Witch, the swing span, which was knocked off its center and almost dumped into the Saginaw river by the barge G. K. Jackson, has been replaced on the pier. The center piece will be cast in Detroit and shipped here, and soon as it is placed under the swing, the bridge can be brought back into commission. [DFP-1910-0817]