Station: Bay City, MI
Bay City was settled in 1835 as a trading post, but it became a major logging center, and then home to the Industrial Works, a leading manufacturer of cranes including railroad wreck derricks. It was oriiginally called Hampton, and later Lower Saginaw. In 1857 it was renamed Bay City. The village was incorporated in 1859 and it became a city in 1865. West Bay City, on the west side of the river was consolidated with Wenona, Salzburgh and Banks in 1877 and in 1905, they all became part of the City of Bay City. [MPN]
Railroads entered Bay City around 1867, with the arrival of the predecessor lines of the Michigan Central (from Jackson via Saginaw) and the Pere Marquette (from Flint via Saginaw). The MC line was constructed through West Bay City and continued north to Mackinaw City. The PM line was on the east side of the river and went into downtown Bay City, where it terminated. Other lines later arriving in town from the south were the MC line from Detroit, arriving in 1873, and the Grand Trunk Western (from Durand via Saginaw) in 1890. Building out from Bay City were the MC north towards Mackinaw in 1871, the MC to Midland in 1889, the Detroit & Mackinac to Alpena in 1896, and the Detroit Bay City & Western (to Port Huron) in 1910. Other terminal railroads were built in and around Bay City between 1890 and 1910, including the Hecla Belt Line (MC) and the Huron and Western (PM) which were industrial lines north of town, and several "belt line" railroads (PM/MC) built east and south of the core city.
- Davidson Ship Building Company
- DeFoe Boat & Motor Works
- Hecla Portland Cement Company (North Bay City)
- Industrial Works (later Industrial Brownhoist), worlds largest manufacturer of large lifting cranes, including railroad wreck outfits.
- Sage and McGraw Sawmill
- United Carbon Works