Interlocking: Center Street Tower, Bay City, MI
Center Street Interlocking in Bay City protected the crossing of the Michigan Central Bay City Branch and the Pere Marquette/C&O Belt Line to Essexville. Originally operated from a tower in the northeast quadrant of the crossing, it also controlled the Detroit, Bay City and Western railroad which was a late comer to the area. At some point after the DBC&W was removed, the crossing was converted to an automatic interlocking and the tower removed.
Photo info/credit: Top, a drawing of the interlocker in 1917 copied from the Michigan Archives. [Dale Berry] Bottom, B&O 4812 powers a southbound empty coal train on the Chessie System tracks at Center Street in the late 1970's. [Bob Smith]